“Working with the FCA has been a fantastic opportunity to help mobilise communications from the outset, working with member organisations and delivering key announcements.
The issues around delivering a greener economy are complex and often nuanced. We’ve been proud to support the FCA and its members to have a voice on the role of the DRC’s artisanal mining community in this context.”
Helen Embleton, Client Services Director, AMBITIOUS PR
FAIR COBALT ALLIANCE
Messaging development, Communications strategy, Media relations, News tracking, Content development
The Fair Cobalt Alliance (FCA) is a multi-stakeholder action platform working towards a formal, fair and safe ASM cobalt sector in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The FCA brings together actors from across the cobalt mineral supply chain to provide an answer to increasing scrutiny on ASM cobalt mining and the DRC mining sector. Its purpose is to assist in the building of a DRC cobalt mining sector that is known to be a responsible partner in providing the minerals needed for a new green economy.
With a small impact-orientated team, the FCA sought external support to help structure its communications, refine its PR strategy and work with member communications teams to amplify its message.
The FCA wanted to work with a team that would hit the ground running and roll their sleeves up to help with a host of tactical activities during the first six months of the programme.
Activity/support to date has included:
- Message development and stress testing
- Communications strategy development and PR planning
- News tracking and summary of key cobalt-related stories for the FCA and members
- Press office service providing counsel and content for incoming media requests and reactions to breaking stories
- Outbound media relations to grow the profile of FCA with key media
- Support with content development for new website launch
- Working with the in-house team and external agencies to co-ordinate announcements across owned and earned channels
- Working with members to co-ordinate announcements
- Researching and pitching involvement at industry events
In the first six months:
- Secured 25 media mentions for the FCA in the first six months
- Provided industry insight through commentary on 130 articles tracking latest developments
- Secured speaker opportunity at an industry event
- Supported growth of FCA LinkedIn Channel – over 500 new followers in the first six months.
- Developed six new member announcements for media, FCA website and LinkedIn
- Secured reciprocal coverage on FCA member websites, newsletters and industry network websites