Brief overview of the role
Great opportunity to join an established PR agency to work across b2b and corporate campaigns and learn from an experienced, supportive team.
The role will include researching topical issues, drafting communications for multiple media channels and liaising with journalists. Plus client admin including reporting and evaluation.
This role would suit a confident self-starter with strong communication skills, in particular writing. Being organised is part of your approach to demonstrating creativity.
What is the apprenticeship?
- The PRCA’s PR Apprenticeship is a Level 4 Higher apprenticeship in Public Relations.
- It is a real job, in a real consultancy
- As a Higher Apprentice, you will learn on the job, picking up skills and experience from colleagues and mentors, while also studying for a nationally, and industry recognised accreditation.
- The PRCA’s programme is the PR and Communications Assistant Standard, from which you can get a Level 4 Qualification.
- The programme lasts for 18 months.
- It is nationally- and industry-recognised.
- It’s the same as any other apprenticeship in that you learn on-the-job, whilst earning a wage, and studying.
- Of the five working days of the week, you will have one day to ‘study’ and complete your theoretic assessments.
- To guide you in this for the duration of your training, you will get a mentor that will set and mark your work, and have regular tutorials with you.
- Towards the programme close, you will complete an end-point-assessment which includes a project and a final presentation.
- The units on the qualification are accompanied with training courses PRCA offer to support knowledge and understanding.
- A Level 4 Diploma is a Higher Apprenticeship.
- It is the equivalent to a Foundation degree.
- The qualification consists of a series of projects which assist apprentices to compile relevant evidence from the workplace.
- Successful apprentices will have demonstrated excellent writing and communication skills, along with enthusiasm and a desire to work in Public Relations.
More details here from the PRCA https://www.prca.org.uk/careers/pr-apprenticeship
Vacancy at AMBITIOUS
AMBITIOUS is an award-winning PR agency specialising in corporate and b2b communications, we aim high, just like our clients. We’re winners of The Drum Recommends Best PR Agency for the past four years – an award that’s secured by client ratings alone: a testament to our high levels of client service and delivery. Latest report download here.
We integrate strategic thinking with marketing communications and PR services – such as media relations, social media and digital content. Our 20-strong team covers a breadth of experience and expertise extends across sectors including property; construction & built environment; tech; financial & professional services; pharma and healthcare; education; public sector; and sustainability.
It’s an exciting time to join AMBITIOUS… this year we celebrate our 10th year in business (so you’ll be part of that), we have ambitious growth targets for 2022/23, we’ve been developing new services which we’re rolling out this year and we’ve also taken on a number of new clients.
This apprentice role we have will best suit somebody who enjoys a fast-paced environment, wants to be challenged and wants to get involved in all that a busy agency environment offers.
The PR Apprentice will be required to undertake (but not be restricted to) the following activities as part of their role.
- Writing: writing for business communications, communicating effectively with PR clients, writing for the media (including articles, news releases, blogs, and case studies)
- Research & data analysis: conducting research for the team including and/or clients and reporting key details
- Social media: understanding when and which social media channel is appropriate and how it can be incorporated into a PR campaign. Using social media in a strategic and effective way for companies and brands
- Media liaison: understanding how the media operates, dealing with day-to-day inquiries from the media, pitching stories and/or products to the media, building relationships with the media (i.e. journalists), creating media lists, monitoring press clippings, sending/receiving press selection products
- Deliver PR campaigns: supporting the team in creating new campaigns, working to deliver a strategy for a client or organisation
- Client account admin: collating & producing wrap up reports, monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of PR campaigns and measuring their impact
- Research & data analysis: conducting research for the team and/or clients and reporting key details
- Presentation: planning, structuring and delivering presentations internally & externally
- Budgets: taking charge of small finance processes related to PR campaigns
The PR apprentice will also be required to demonstrate workload management by undertaking the following activities:
- Time management and organisation: Planning, organising and prioritising your workload to ensure deadlines and objectives for both work activities and apprenticeship training are met. Ensuring email/online diaries are kept up to date
- Meetings: Arranging internal and external meetings, ensuring rooms are suitable and attendees’ needs are catered for
- Career development: Taking responsibility for personal learning and professional development
Working with people
The PR apprentice will also be required to demonstrate the following in their ability to work with people.
- Professional relationships: developing professional relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, effective listening and verbal/written communication. Ensuring supervisors and coaches are aware of work-in-progress and are briefed when any problems arise. Working with teams to achieve goals and promote a motivating work environment.
- Networking: building a professional network of other PR professionals whilst maintaining a positive company and personal image
Apprenticeship training overview
- You will develop a wide understanding of Public Relations and the impact it has on businesses
- As a Public Relations and Communications Apprentice, you will follow a Level 4 Public Relations Assistant apprenticeship standard, which is a nationally recognised qualification route with a Diploma.
- This will involve “on the job” training, virtual visits from an Apprenticeship Coach, an internal line manager to provide ongoing guidance, online learning and creating a portfolio of evidence
- Functional Skills in maths and English if required
- The apprentice will be working towards an End-Point Assessment (EPA) which will determine if he/she has the knowledge, skills, and behaviours listed in the PR & Communications Assistant Standard
- The apprentice must follow company and training provider procedures at all times
Skills and experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effective communicator at all levels
- Interest in business, current & topical issues
- Skilled in Microsoft Office packages and experienced in social media
- Organised and good time management: you can juggle different activities, understanding what needs to be prioritised, and will flag if deadlines won’t be met
- Attention to detail: you consistently ensure that you review your pieces of work and submit to a good standard even when things are busy.
Personal qualities and interests
- Genuine interest in public relations, communications or marketing
- Motivated and committed
- Flexible and willing to learn
- A proactive ‘self-starter’: someone who takes the initiative to volunteer for tasks, is energetic in making the most of the opportunity, and offers ideas at meetings
- A strong interest in the media, business and world affairs
- GCSE Grades 9-4 (A*- C) or equivalent in English Language and maths
- Minimum of 3 A Levels or equivalent is preferred
- Graduate applicants must have studied a degree outside the realms of PR, Communications, Journalism or Advertising
The potential career path of a successful applicant will form part of discussions during the apprenticeship – future employment opportunities may be available on completion.
Things to consider
- You may be required to work flexible hours to meet the needs of clients.
- Free PRCA Membership
- Full time role – 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5.30pm
- Salary – apprenticeship wage
- Hybrid working – 3 days in the office & 2 days wfh or in the office
- 28 days annual leave (includes 25 days holiday and Bank / Public holidays)
- Personal training package including 121 performance management coaching & DiSC profiling
- Team lunches & company events
- Healthshield – access to wellness support & perks including retail discounts
- Birthday off – extra day holiday
- Early Friday finish at 3pm in July & August (subject to workload)
- New business bonus
How to apply?
Think you’re ready to join our A-Team? Please send your CV and a covering letter, outlining why this apprenticeship interests you and why you’re best suited to this role. Send your CV to Lis Anderson – include the reference: PR APPRENTICE 2022 – at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read about our PR apprentice and Kickstarters here at AMBITIOUS and see what they’ve learned during their time with us.
Please note that by applying for this role, you consent to us storing your information in our database for the purpose of communicating with you regarding opportunities within our business.