If you want to elevate your Instagram content and use the platform to its full potential, using apps or tools is essential. With so many to choose from, it pays to work out the best ones for your needs. As a PR consultancy delivering successful campaigns across social media channels we use Instagram every day. So, here are 14 Instagram apps that we really rate at Team AMBITIOUS …
Best for… editing
- Snapseed – Google’s all-in-one photo editing app for smartphones is widely regarded as one of the best, thanks to the massive range of editing tools it offers. But, while it offers a lot (exposure, colour, sharpening, crop tools, curves, filters and frames, brushes and healing tool), it’s not complicated to use. What a joy.
- Afterlight 2 – A great option for more experienced photographers – use Afterlight 2 for basic editing functions and then go further with its advanced features that allow you to take the colours and tones to another level.
- Adobe Lightroom CC – If you use Adobe Lightroom on your computer then this could be a game-changer on your phone. Adobe Creative Cloud syncs your edits between all your devices. It’s a powerful editing tool presented in a straightforward interface, making it a good choice whatever your capabilities.
- VSCO – Want to create a film-style effect on your images? Look no further. Use VSCO’s pre-sets to get the look you want with minimal fuss.
- A Colour Story – If colour is your thing and you’re finding the Instagram filters a little limited, this could be the app for you. As its creators explain: “one of our top priorities was creating filters that make your colours really pop”. It also has over 20 tools, including curves, to help you fine-tune your images.
Best for… scheduling
- Hootsuite – The daddy of scheduling tools, Hootsuite allows you to schedule content across a range of social media channels, including Instagram Business profiles.
- Later – Formerly called Latergram, this is a great tool for planning your visual content calendar on Instagram, with drag-and-drop tools for creating the grid you want.
- Schedugram – Used by many big players, Schedugram is an all-in-one programme with editing tools, regramming, a visual planner, tagging and analytics. You have to pay for an account, but it could be worth it if you’re managing client accounts.
Best for… video
- Boomerang – Turn an everyday occurrence into a fun post with Boomerang – it shoots a burst of 10 pictures and turns them into a fun mini video.
- InShot Video Editor – Want to add music, effects, text and emojis, filters or voice-overs to your video content? This is the app to help you.
Best for… collages
Layout – It does what it says on the tin… arrange a range of images into different collage layouts. Simple but brilliant.
Best for… reposting
Repost – If you want to share posts from other people, this little app will help make it simple. Useful if you have followers posting content about your brand that you want to share back to your feed.
Best for… account management
- Iconosquare – A really useful tool to monitor your brand’s hashtag growth, daily post count, engagement rate, and other metrics – and to compare this against competitors. You can also use it to find and connect with influencers.
- Instagram Insights – Don’t forget to tap into Instagram’s own analytics and data – find information on reach, impressions and website CTR.
Which apps or tools do you find most useful for Instagram? There are so many out there, we’d love to hear what works for you. Tell us in the comments below or tweet us @Ambitiouspr.